Inspired by a recent Malcolm Gladwell Revisionist History podcast, 12 Rules for Life, I decided to create my own 12 Rules as a part of my 2019 Happiness Project. I thought creating these rules would help me better understand myself and my values. If I could then abide by these rules, I’d be happier.
However, after five weeks of brainstorming, I could only come up with 10 Rules. Luckily for me, Gladwell cheated and only came up with two on his podcast, so I don’t feel too bad. Here are my 10:
- Time spent doing your hair could be time better spent sleeping.
- Stop to smell the roses, or if you cannot smell (like me), pet all the dogs, cats and friendly critters.
- Always work your hardest and try your best. No excuses (even a bad hangover).
- Don’t make a small problem large.
- Smile at strangers and say hello. You may freak them out or make their day. Either way, it’s a win for you.
- Be kind; even in the face of unkindness.
- Coffee and Scrubbing Bubbles are mankind’s two greatest inventions. Go ahead and use them.
- Eat an apple every day. It really does keep the doctor away.
- Tell people you love them… especially when you’re angry with them.
- Don’t be an asshole. It’s the tenant of every major world religion.
I hope this list inspires you to be kind, to yourself and others. What would you put on your list of 12 (or 2 or 7 or 10) life rules? Comment below!